Sunday, February 22, 2009

Birthday Boy / Thursday, Nov. 20, 2008

6 a.m. - Time for early morning basketball. Must start early before the heat becomes unbearable. Brett told Joy I didn't embarrass myself .... I'll take that as a compliment!
We arrive home, but soon after Brett and April take Corban to the hospital to be tested for malaria because of a high temperature. (By evening we learned it was NOT malaria!)

The remainder of the morning was spent with Brett and his teammates -- the guys. It was their weekly "business meeting." I learned that the team strives to help the Kabiye with physical as well as spiritual needs. There was much discussion about well projects, community development activities and general benevolent work. This all comes out of their work fund, so the need for us in the U.S. to support work funds was very clear. Brett said they could easily use another $800/month in their work fund to help with this ministry. "Caring for the poor is true religion." (paraphrased from James)

Normally the wives have prayer time in the afternoon, but once a month the entire team meets for three hours of prayer followed by a meal. Babysitting assures that everyone is able to fully engage in the prayer time. Dave and Becky organized the prayer meeting this time. Following dinner, it was back home. With the boys in bed, we enjoyed a rousing game of Skip Bo.

Thoughts
* Corban is walking better every day. It's been quite a blessing to be here for that. He looks so much like Brett did. Yesterday morning (very early!) he sat on my lap and watched his "Praise Baby" music video. It was a tremendous bonding moment, and I was moved to tears.
* Did I mention tat it's HOT!? Actually I feel like I have been surviving the heat (90-100 daily) pretty well. One of my biggest concerns was how I would handle the heat. It is relentless, but I am adjusting OK. The heat just saps one's energy though. It has been cooling down at night at least; so, in the morning it's about 70 and seems chilly!
* The roads -- No one can imagine and photos can't adequately show just how bad the roads are!! They are deeply rutted and washed out. Rocks -- very large rocks -- threaten the undercarriage of any vehicle. (Yes, people, those missionaries do need those expensive, 4 wheel drive trucks!) This was one thing I was not prepared for -- the roads are so much worse than I would have imagined. Even in Kara there are few paved roads, and if they aren't paved then they are barely passable. No coffee for the road in Togo!

Good night.

Corban's first birthday



Papa and Corban






Rugged roads near Kara


No comments: