Saturday, February 28, 2009

The sweetness comes later / Friday, Nov.21, 2008

The mountain seems to get clearer every day. The harmitage (spelling??) -- dust storms -- are approaching. The winds bring dust from the deserts to the north. It rained the other night which has helped some.

Today, Brett and I go to N'Djei. We are taking a community development worker and his translator with us. We dropped them in the village and then we back-tracked to a border crossing to renew Joy's and my visas for another week. To say it was a slo-o-o-ow process would be quite an understatement.

I had two interesting experiences, both involving children. The first was when we returned to the village from getting our visas. There were numerous children along the road. Some were in uniforms which meant they were on their ways to or from school. We stopped to take pictures of a few of them. They were anxious to be photographed and to see their image on the digital screen! Soon children were flocking from all over, excitedly trying to get in a picture. Many were not in uniform which meant they could not afford to go to school. Unfortunately, those not getting an education far outnumbered those that were. The things we take for granted .....

The second experience involved two young Kabiye children who I will call "Chad" and "Amy." Back in the village, the community development program continued. I sat with Brett for awhile, not having a clue what was being said. (I can better appreciate how a non-reader feels in American society -- or a non-English speaker.) Back to the story. I eventually went outside to catch some breeze. Along came "Chad" and "Amy," interested in the white man with the camera. After a few minutes, they warmed up to having their photo taken. They seemed to want to communicate with me -- but how? Well, there was a stick and a bare patch of ground so I tried drawing pictures -- tree, house, animal, etc. Despite my poor art skills, "Chad" and "Amy" tried to copy my pictures. Then I said, "tree" and they said, "Doo" (not too sure about the "spelling, but Brett later confirmed that it sounded at least close to the Kabiye word for tree.). We went on to "house" and "sheep." Before long we were communicating -- no conversation, of course, but still communication! "Chad" and "Amy" will remind me of my experiences in Africa for some time to come. The photos I took of them are among my favorites from the trip. I wonder what lies in their futures? Praise God that my own Chad and Amy have had the benefit of a good education. Praise God also that they are using their education and their talents for the benefit of others.

Later that day ...... Brett, Joy, and I went out for a drive about 4-5:00. "Rush hour" in Kara is just as hectic as Nashville. Dodging scooters, bikers, and walkers is a challenge. Brett bemoans his Land Cruiser's size when driving around town in traffic. The congestion is more incredible than an American city because of the chaotic activity -- people bustling around, stepping out into traffic, ringing bells, honking horns, selling their wares .....

Later: When it's dark in Kara, it's DARK -- no street lights or well-lit buildings. Once one is off the main road, one is truly in the DARK. Walking around at night would be a dangerous endeavor, one which we didn't attempt.

Tomorrow: We paint! Good night!



View from Brett and April's roof. The dust storms have abated some. We can see the mountain again!!



Posted on the N'Djei church building. Translation: The family of Jesus at N'Djei. The sweetness comes later.


The village of N'Djei



A Peace Corp worker does a training session at the church building. The Kara team partners with other churches and volunteer groups to help the Kabiye. The woman on the left (in the front) is translating from French to Kabiye. Boy was I lost!




My two friends in N'Djei





3 comments:

Joshua and Julie Marcum said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts and seeing the pictures - it brought back lots of memories. I am proud of you and Joy for making the trip! Reading what you wrote makes me realize as well what my grandparents learned and sacrificed in coming to visit us in Kenya!
Julie Stephens Marcum

Diane said...

Darrel,
Thanks so much for sharing your reactions/insights/observations from your trip. Oh, the memories that come flooding back. You and Joy were very very brave. Many times it takes an outsider's eyes to remind the people who live there of what they really have. I hope we can visit Brett and April some time. I know they would be a blessing to us and hope we could be to them. Grace and peace, Diane

Sandi said...

My name is Sandi, and I was a part of the southern Watchi team for two years (2000-01). I always love reading others' insights into daily life in Togo (or other African countries), especially because those that live there as missionaries grow accustomed to the strangeness and "other"ness of it all -- it is always fun to read from a new perspective and have everything come flooding back. Thank you for sharing your experiences!